MusicDirect.com Privacy Notice
By visiting musicdirect.com, you agree to accept the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
Changes to This Privacy Notice, Conditions of Use and Notices
Personal Information Collected By Music Direct
Music Direct uses information we collect from our visitors to personalize and improve your visits to our website. Throughout the previous 12 months, we have gathered the following types of information.
Information You Give Us: Music Direct collects any information you enter on our website. This information is normally provided when you search, buy, register for participation in a contest, or communicate with any of our departments such as customer service or sales through our website, telephone, email, or written mail. You also provide information when you establish an account with us. Examples of the type of information you may supply us with include your name, address, telephone number, credit card information, and e-mail address.
Automatic Information Collected by Us: When you visit our website, we collect and store information such as "cookies" that remember information about a visitor from one page to the next—and from one visit to the next. We collect and analyze the IP address used to connect your computer to the Internet; login; password; computer and connection information such as your browser type and version; operating system and platform; purchase history; confirmation when you open e-mail we send you; the URLs that lead you to and around our website and other sites on the World Wide Web, including the date and time; the pages and or products you viewed or searched, and the phone number used to call our voice telephone numbers. Your browser allows you to reject cookies. Software is available from third parties that will allow you to visit our website without providing this information. You are welcomed at our website if you use such software, but we will not be able to offer you our personalized services and the shopping process may be negatively impacted.
Orders: If you place an order, we use a secure order form that requires you to provide contact, billing, and financial information. This information is transmitted to your credit card company to authorize your purchase.
Information Shared When You Finance: At certain times, we may offer financing options with or without third-party participation. If you use a financing option, information provided by you (such as your address, birth date, social security number, and/or credit card number) may be used to request a credit report from third parties or may be sent to a third party for processing.
California Privacy: Under California law, customers of Music Direct who are residents of California have certain rights regarding their personal information. This section describes the rights of California residents under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and how to exercise them.
- You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and verify your request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling any personal information.
- The purposes for which the information we collected will be used.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share personal information.
- If we sold or shared your personal information for a business purpose; and, if so, any categories of personal information that were sold or disclosed, and the categories of any third parties to whom personal information was sold or shared. Please note that Music Direct does not currently sell any personal information.
- You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and verify your request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
- We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our agreement with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
- Enable internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
If you are a California resident who wishes to make such a request, please call us toll-free at 1-800-449-8333 or make a privacy request.
Only you or a person you authorize to act on your behalf may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. However, you may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may make a verifiable consumer request up to two times within a 12-month period without charge. Unfortunately, we cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm that the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request. We will notify you that we have received your request within 10 days via either an email address which you provide us or which we may have. Or, if you do not have or want to use an email address, at any California or other U.S. telephone number you provide us.
We try to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension time period (up to 90 days). We will deliver our response by telephone or email, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding receipt. The response we provide will also explain any reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable.
At this time, Music Direct does not sell any personally identifiable customer information to any third party. For more information, please see the “Sharing of Information with Third Parties” section below.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Sharing of Information with Third Parties
We may share any information you supply us with any affiliated business that is substantially controlled by Music Direct. Any information shared this way will be subject to this Privacy Notice.
Orders and Catalog Requests: When you place your order and/or when you request we send you a catalog, we may occasionally share your name, mailing address, and purchase category information with a few carefully selected marketing partners who may bring you offers of interest. If you wish to opt-out of the sharing of personal information in the future, please call us at 800-449-8333 or email us. If exercised, the decision to opt-out will be valid going forward provided you do not create an additional customer account with us.
We will never share with any marketing partner(s) any telephone number(s) or financial information you have given us.
Music Direct has contracted with Yotpo Networks to provide Social Question and Answer functionality on musicdirect.com, which enables shoppers to ask questions of customers who actually bought the items they are considering. When you place an order, we will send Yotpo the purchaser’s first and last name, email address, zip code, and information about the items ordered. As a purchaser, you may receive emails asking you to answer questions about the products you purchased. You may opt out of Social Question and Answer emails by unsubscribing from within those emails.
Aggregate Information: We provide aggregate information to some of our business partners. This information does not allow them to identify you individually.
Vendors: We provide some of our vendors with your contact information so that they may contact you directly with product support information. For example, we may supply your contact information to a vendor if they request it in order to provide you with recall information about a product you have purchased from us.
Credit Card Companies, Other Payors and Shippers: When you buy something from us, we send your credit card information, name, billing address, and the amount of your purchase to your credit card company to verify and authorize the purchase. We will also send the same information (name, billing address, and amount of your purchase) for other payment types that we may offer (such as PayPal). Your name, telephone number, and shipping information must be provided to third-party shippers such as UPS, freight companies, Federal Express, and the United States Postal Service to deliver your purchase. We may also share any email address you have provided to us with these shippers if they need to contact you.
Third-Party Ads, Surveys, and Promotions: We may use third parties to display ads, surveys, and various promotions on our site. These third-party applications may contain cookies or other codes that are outside of our control. Although we will attempt to only work with third parties that respect your privacy, we do not control and are not responsible or liable for any information collected by these third parties (or how it is used). You should contact the third party directly or check the third party's Privacy Notice to see how any information they may gather will be used.
Link to Third Party Site: Our website contains links to third party sites, such as our vendors. Music Direct does not control and is not responsible or liable for the privacy practices or content found on these sites. We suggest you check the Privacy Notice of each site you visit.
Third-Party Checkout Links: If you use a third-party checkout link (such as PayPal) on our site, your name, billing and shipping addresses, and other information requested by that payment service is transferred to us from your account with the third party to enable you to check out of our site without having to re-enter certain information.
We contract with outside services called Google Analytics and 4Tell to help us better understand your use of musicdirect.com. These services place cookies on your computer to collect various kinds of information for us related to the use of our websites so that we may continue to refine and improve the sites and better serve you. These services are not allowed to collect any credit card, user name, or password information, nor are they allowed to use data they collect for us for any other purpose. Additionally, these services are contractually required to maintain all the information collected for us in strict confidence.
Law Enforcement and Protection of Users
We will release personally identifiable information to third parties and organizations when we believe it is appropriate for us to do so to comply with the law. We will also do so to cooperate with law enforcement investigations, comply with court orders or subpoenas, protect the legal rights of us and our users, or when we believe it is needed for fraud protection and/or credit risk reduction.
Music Direct has been in business independently for years, and our intent is to continue in this manner. However, in the unlikely event Music Direct is sold, has substantially all of its assets acquired, or merges or becomes affiliated with any other individual or entity, any customer information owned or under the control of Music Direct may be one of the transferred assets.
Our website protects the security of personal information you transmit to us by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts the information you input during the transmission to us. We do not reveal your credit card number when we confirm your order. In order to protect against unauthorized access to your account, you should sign off when you finish visiting our site.
We support several options for limiting the amount and type of information you share on our website.
- You can choose to browse our website without accepting cookies. Please know that cookies allow us to recognize you from page to page, and they support your transactions with us. Without cookies enabled, you will still be able to browse our website, but will not be able to take advantage of certain website features including the ability to potentially complete an order. We do not currently monitor or honor any "Do Not Track" browser settings.
- You may opt out of Social Question and Answer powered by Yotpo by unsubscribing from within the emails requesting a review or providing a question to answer—or by calling us toll-free at 800-449-8333.
- You may opt out of email marketing communications by clicking here or by calling 800-449-8333 toll-free or by replying to the email with the word “Unsubscribe”.