Fully Discrete All-FET ELAC Alchemy PPA-2 MM/MC Phono Preamplifier Offers Class-Leading Connectivity, Flexibility, and Topology: Includes Mono Switch, Precise RIAA Equalization
All-analog discrete FET gain and EQ stages, continuously variable and precise MC loading, switchable MM or MC gain for each channel, and exceedingly accurate RIAA equalization help turn the ELAC Alchemy PPA-2 MM/MC phono preamplifier into your vinyl record collection's new best friend. Extremely quiet and filled with top-quality parts, the Peter Madnick-designed component is committed to handling the analog signal in its path to the preamplifier with exacting focus and care. And since all signal routing is done through hermetically sealed gold-on-gold relays, PPA-2 helps play back LPs with stellar resolution, scintillating purity, and fantastic detail. It even comes with selectable stereo/mono modes for even better-sounding playback of mono LPs as well as a selectable high-pass filter to eliminate rumble.
Able to fit practically anywhere by way of a super-sleek 2 x 17.5 x 15-inch (HWD) footprint, PPA-2 means you'll never need settle on any specific settings or cartridge type. And its internal topology and parts — a multi-rail analog power supply, DC servo-controlled output stage, ultra-low-noise DC voltage regulators, and an internally shielded toroidal transformer and linear power supply — ensure quiet operation and excellent stability. During normal use, a microprocessor shuts down to rid any potential clocking noises. And if you have ELAC's Miracord 70 or 90 turntable, PPA-2 acts as an improved power source.
Add to the aforementioned benefits a pair of balanced outputs, pair of balanced inputs, an unbalanced output, and both an isolated signal and chassis ground, and PPA-2 has seemingly thought of it all. Want additional proof? It front-panel even features a loading meter to assist with effortless dialing-in of cartridge settings. Hear the magic produced by PPA-2 in your system today with the security of our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
"The...ELAC/Alchemy PPA-2 combines low noise and 'see into the stage' transparency with supple attack, generous sustain and decay to produce a well-detailed musical picture that plays well beyond its price point. Its overall sonic personality is on the warm, velvety and supple side, yet it also delivers impressive detail, and clean, well delineated high frequency transients. Plus it has all of the desirable phono preamp features you'd want."
—Michael Fremer, Analog Planet/Stereophile
"ELAC'S Alchemy Series electronics individually and collectively punch well above their weight. They are not simply great-sounding budget gear...they are great sounding gear, period!"
—Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
- Fully discrete, balanced FET topology from input to output
- DC servo-controlled output stage
- Switchable MM or MC gain for each channel
- MC loading continuously adjustable from 5 Ω to 999 Ω
- Precise MC cartridge loading settings for each input can be displayed on the LCD information screen
- Selectable Stereo or Mono operation
- Highly precise RIAA equalization using 0.1% metal film resistors and selected metalized polypropylene capacitors
- Selectable rumble filter
- All signal routing through hermetically sealed gold-on-gold relays
- Ultra-low-noise DC voltage regulators
- Microcontroller completely shuts down during normal operation to eliminate any clocking noises
- Internally shielded toroidal transformer and linear power supply for very low radiated hum field
- Provides an improved power source for the Miracord 70 and 90 turntable motor
- Liquid Crystal Display for clear user information
Input impedance: 5-1KOhms variable or 47K
Frequency response: 10hz-20khz +/- 0.2dB
RIAA accuracy: +/- 0.2dB
Nominal THD+N: <0.005%
Signal-to-noise ratio (1 kHz): >86dB
Output Voltage: >6.0V RMS
Crosstalk (L-to-R or R-to-L): >80dB
Single ended Gain: 42dB (low) or 60dB (high)
Balanced Gain: 48dB (low) or 66dB (high)
Output impedance: 50 Ohms
Analog Outputs: (1) XLR BALANCED, (1) RCA UNBALANCED
Available finishes: Black
Dimensions (HWD): 2.0" x 17.5" x 15.0"
Net Weight: 12.0 lbs.