Grado SR125e Headphones
Re-Engineered From the Inside-Out: Grado SR125e 'Phones Yield State-of-the-Art Sound at a Real-World Price
Inky blackness. In audiophile parlance, it means spaciousness. Neutrality. Purity. Escapism. Grado developed its proprietary SpaceBlack Polycarbonate to give you such black backgrounds and absorb stray sonic vibrations. These unwanted secondary impulses muddy the sound, and Grado is about purity. It's what you'll find in SR125e. Completely re-engineered from top to bottom with new components and materials, SR125e offers beguiling price-to-performance value.
Grado has been hand-making world-class headphones in the U.S.A. for nearly three decades. Taking advantage of the latest technologies and material advances, the Brookyln-based manufacturer just finished the biggest overhaul to its entire ‘phone line in company history. Listeners will not only benefit from significantly superior sound, they will enjoy it without having to pay more. That’s right: Grado kept prices steady even as the family-owned company added myriad improvements.
"The '125 is a neutral, detailed, and warm sounding headphone overall, with extended frequency extremes, wide dynamic range, and the ability to sound natural at a wide range of volume levels. Based on my experience with the budget and top-of-the-line Grado models, I remained convinced that the SR125 represents the greatest sound quality per dollar in the Grado range."
– Robert J. Reina, Stereophile
Grado's ability to combine lightness with extreme rigidity and internal damping is put to good use on SR125e. These 'phones feature a state-of-the-art driver and cable design utilizing UHPLC (Ultra-High Purity, Long Crystal) copper voice coil wire. With the 8-conductor cable, you will notice outstanding control and stability of the upper and lower range of the frequency spectrum. Of course, both support Grado's renowned midrange. The SR125e's diaphragms are even put through a special de-stressing process in order to enhance inner detail.
The way the SR125e's new driver, cable and plastic housing move air and react to sound vibrations are virtually unaffected by transient distortions. Bass, midrange, and treble are open, allowing you to fully enjoy fine tonal spread and balance. SR125e produces a sound that is pure Grado, with warm harmonic colors, rich full bodied vocals, excellent dynamics, and an ultra-smooth top end.
Grado E Series Headphones Enhancements
- New components and upgraded materials produce better dynamics
- Proprietary SpaceBlack Polycarbonate reduces resonance and absorbs excess energy, yielding clearer tones
- New mahogany wood-curing method decreases tonal coloration and enhances performance consistency
- New rhodium connectors for longer-lasting, corrosion-free connections
- Refined driver geometry results in unparalleled precision
- Improved housing diminishes resonance and improves tonal purity
- New fine-tuned magnetic structure offers greater driver symmetry
- Stronger and lighter epoxy means greater strength, less mass, and better reliability