25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Box Set featuring Original Album Remastered, Previously Unreleased Material, Live Set and Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos Mix & High-Resolution Master, All Housed in 12" x 12" Box with 60-page Book
25 years ago, firmly ensconced as U.S. rock royalty, R.E.M. unleashed the album many count as their defining moment in Autumn 1992. The legendary Automatic For The People stood alone at a time when many of the other great alternative acts had packed up, filling any void with the likes of "Drive" (referencing both David Essex's "Rock On" and any of Queen's stop-start stadium fillers), the Andy Kaufman homage "Man On The Moon," the oblique "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" and the deliberately heavy angst of "Everybody Hurts," a song that managed to appeal to woebegone adolescents and wannabe-young-again oldsters, with John Paul Jones' orchestral arrangement increasing the emotional overload.
Whatever the formula, it certainly worked: sales off the scale, constant airplay, non-stop five-star reviews, and bigger and bigger live shows. Not too shabby when one considers the album was conceived during a dark time, and dealt with genuinely traumatic reflections on suicide, mortality and the harsh fact that everyone is going to reach the finishing line at some point.
Commemorating the album's 25th Anniversary, this remastered Deluxe Edition boxset features previously unreleased material, including 20 never-before-heard demos, and the previously unreleased tracks "Mike's Pop Song" and "Devil Rides Backwards." A Blu-ray disc offers the full album (with bonus track "Photograph" featuring Natalie Merchant) mixed in Dolby Atmos, plus a high-resolution master of the album, music videos, and the original 1992 EPK. Also included is Live At The 40 Watt Club 11/19/92 – a live set performed in R.E.M.'s hometown of Athens, GA. Housed in a 12" x 12" box, the Deluxe Edition comes complete with a 60-page book, offering photos by Anton Corbijn and Melodie McDaniel, plus expanded liner notes by Tom Doyle who conducted new interviews with all 4 band members.
Box Set Features:
• 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition 3CD + Blu-ray Box Set
• CD1 - Automatic for the People remastered from the original analog tapes
• CD2 - Live At The 40 Watt Club 11/19/92
• CD3 - 20 never-before-heard demos
• Blu-ray - full album (with bonus track "Photograph" featuring Natalie Merchant) mixed in Dolby Atmos, plus a high-resolution master of the album, music videos, and the original 1992 EPK
• 12" x 12" box featuring 60-page book with photos by Anton Corbijn and Melodie McDaniel, plus expanded liner notes by Tom Doyle who conducted new interviews with all 4 band members