2016 marks 400 years since the death of the iconic William Shakespeare and to celebrate Decca is pleased to offer this limited edition 100 CD box set of Shakespeare: The Complete Works. This complete and unabridged gathering of Shakespeare's 37 plays, plus all of his 154 Sonnets and 4 narrative poems, come together to form the ultimate literary collection.
The Marlowe Society and Professional Players is one of Cambridge's oldest and most prestigious drama societies. Since its creation in 1907, the society has had a profound influence on British theatre, both by producing some of the country's most renowned actors and directors and by redefining the relationship between modern dramatists and early modern verse. The pieces that make up Shakespeare: The Complete Works were performed and recorded in the late-50s and early-60s.
Re-mastered from the original Argo recordings and for the first time on CD, these well-regarded performances from such celebrated actors as Sir John Gielgud, Richard Pasco, Dame Prunella Scales, Sir Ian McKellen, Sir Trevor Nunn, Dame Peggy Ashcroft and Patrick Wymarck, serve as a most fitting tribute to England's greatest playwright.
• 100 CDs of spoken word
• 93 discs featuring 37 plays
• 2 discs dedicated to all 154 sonnets
• 5 discs dedicated to the 4 narrative poems
• Original LP artwork by Arthur Wragg
• 224-page booklet contains full cast listings, anaylysis on all of the plays, historical content, photographs & press reviews from the original LP release
• First edition certification
• Lavish box set packaging