Yes Close To The Edge on Limited Edition Import CD + Blu-Ray
CD features New Stereo Album Mix by Steven Wilson plus a New Mix of America & Early Mix/Assembly of Close to the Edge, All at CD Quality 44.1kHz/16bit
Blu-Ray features New Mixes at 96kHz/24bit, Original Mixes at 192kHz/24bit in DTS-HD Master Audio Surround plus Additional Exclusive Music including 96kHz/24bit Instrumental Versions & 96kHz/24bit Needle-Drop of an Original UK Vinyl Pressing
When Yes entered the studio with Eddie Offord to record the band’s fifth studio album in mid-1972, their second with this line-up, the band was on something of a roll. Fragile, the band’s previous album, had taken Yes to a new level of international popularity with Top Ten chart placement on both sides of the Atlantic and yielding a hit single in the USA with "Roundabout."
The band was now established in the major music markets to an extent that was, perhaps, unexpected given the complexity of the music Yes performed. But with that popularity came a confidence that the expansive material of the two previous albums could be taken a stage further with the new recording. Rather than consolidating, Yes chose to innovate.
Recorded during lengthy sessions at London’s Advision Studios, Close to the Edge is that rarity in recorded music, the sound of a band and its individual members writing, playing and recording at the peak of their collective abilities. The album was issued in Autumn 1972 reaching chart highs and platinum sales status of 4 in the UK, 3 in the USA and 1 in Holland, though such statistics only hint at the worldwide popularity of the album over a period of more than four decades.
The three pieces of music, the title track which spanned the entire first side of the vinyl album with "And You And I" and "Siberian Khatru" on side two, have remained concert favorites since release, with the 2013 Yes line-up currently in the middle of a world tour stretching into the middle of next year that sees the album performed in its entirety.
The album remains the favorite among many of the band’s legion of fans, a defining recording both for the band and for the progressive rock movement. It is also one of the most successful British rock albums ever released.
Acclaimed musician/producer Steven Wilson has produced the new mixes with the approval of the band, while Roger Dean reprises his role as art director/designer of the newly issued edition, making this the Definitive Edition of the album. The combination of Yes’ music and Steven Wilson’s production skills seems such an obvious mix (no pun intended), it’s a wonder it hasn’t happened sooner.
Mixed from the full multi-track sources, the 5.1 mixes reveal every nuance of the complexity of the original recordings in Surround sound, while a sparkling new stereo mix is presented on CD and in high resolution stereo, as is a flat transfer from the original stereo master tape source.
• New 5.1 Surround Mix DTS-HD 96kHz/24bit from original multitracks
• New Stereo Mix LPCM 96kHz/24bit from original multitracks
• Original Stereo Mix LPCM 192kHz/24bit flat transfer from original master tape
• America – Original Stereo Mix LPCM 192kHz/24bit flat transfer from original master tape
• Instrumental Versions – New Stereo Mix LPCM 96kHz/24bit
• Needle-drop of Original UK Vinyl LPCM 96kHz/24bit A1/B1 pressing
• Numerous Audio Extras LPCM 96kHz/24bit including single edits & studio run throughs
Yes Close To The Edge Track Listing:
New Stereo Mixes
1. Close To The Edge
2. And You And I
3. Siberian Khatru
2. Close To The Edge (Early assembly/Rough mix)
New Stereo Mixes
1. Close To The Edge – New Stereo 24/96 LPCM
2. And You And I – New Stereo 24/96 LPCM
3. Siberian Khatru – New Stereo 24/96 LPCM
5.1 Surround Mixes
1. Close To The Edge – 5.1 Surround 24/96 LPCM & DTS-HD MA
2. And You And I – 5.1 Surround 24/96 LPCM & DTS-HD MA
3. Siberian Khatru – 5.1 Surround 24/96 LPCM & DTS-HD MA
Original Stereo Mixes
1. Close To The Edge – Flat Transfer from original master – 24/192 LPCM
2. And You And I – Flat Transfer from original master – 24/192 LPCM
3. Siberian Khatru – Flat Transfer from original master – 24/192 LPCM
1. America – 5.1 Surround 24/96 LPCM & DTS-HD MA
2. America – New Stereo 24/96 LPCM
3. America – Flat Transfer from original master – 24/192 LPCM