Quintessential 1970 Harpur College Acoustic/Electric Show Available on Vinyl for the First Time: Remastered from the Original 6 Master Reel Tapes by Jeffrey Norman
This beloved Grateful Dead performance from Harpur College in Binghamton, NY has long been considered one of the band's finest as it features powerful acoustic and electric versions of songs from a favorite year, 1970. The quintessential proceedings capture the Dead weeks away from releasing Workingman's Dead and months from its follow-up American Beauty, two definitive (and platinum certified) records from that prolific year which saw the band become a bona fide studio success. Songs like "Friend of the Devil," "Black Peter" and "Uncle John's Band," are heard here in sublime acoustic versions while the Dead plugs in for transcendent performances of "Good Lovin'," "St. Stephen," "The Other One," "Dancing in the Streets" and "Viola Lee Blues."
Originally released on CD in mid-1997, this first time vinyl pressing (hand numbered 180g 5LP box set with 12-page booklet) of Dick's Picks Vol. 8 was mastered directly from the original half track 7 1/2 ips analog tapes recorded at this show. The acoustic set was recorded in stereo. The electric sets are monaural. While the reason for this remains a mystery, spurious electrical activity is suspected.
What is unique about Dick's Picks Vol. 8 on vinyl is that it contains all the time between songs. The show is presented as played, except on the CD the powers-that-be decided that one song, "Cold, Rain, and Snow" should not be included. The song starts with some extreme tuning issues and these take awhile to be resolved, so it was edited out. However, Deadheads made it clear that they want the entire show, warts and all. So "Cold, Rain, and Snow" is now included in this remastered vinyl release, and ironically once the tuning is corrected, it's an excellent version.
• Hand numbered 180g 5LP box set
• 8th live album in the Grateful Dead's Dick's Picks series recorded on May 2, 1970 at Harpur College in Binghamton, NY & originally released in mid-1997
• Remastered from the original 6 master reel tapes by Jeffrey Norman
• Acoustic set recorded in stereo while the electric sets are monaural
• Includes bonus track "Cold Rain & Snow" left off CD version
• Five individual LP sleeves with soft touch coating
• Poly lined sleeves
• 12 page booklet with images from the original reel tapes
• Soft touch 12" box with spot UV coating