Earliest Known Performances by Jerry Garcia: Over 3.5 Hours of Studio & Live Performances Culled from Previously Uncirculated Masters and Newly Discovered Recordings
Audio Restoration and Mastering by Fred Kevorkian, Lacquers Cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol Studios and Pressed to Vinyl by Quality Record Pressings
The expansive retrospective box set Before The Dead brings together a rare collection of the earliest known performances by Jerry Garcia. From an informal and intimate 1961 performance of simple folk songs at a birthday party with future songwriting partner Robert Hunter to more polished coffeehouse gigs with old-timey and bluegrass bands through 1964, this collection showcases Garcia's deep study of the folk music tradition and its influence on his musical journey leading to the formation of the Grateful Dead. Even with his entire musical career in front of him, Garcia's magnetic presence as a performer can be plainly heard in these first steps.
Before The Dead is produced and curated by longtime Grateful Dead publicist and author Dennis McNally and documentarian Brian Miksis who also contributed extensive liner notes to the collection bringing historical context for each performance and the carefully researched lineage of each recording. The liner notes, along with track by track essays and listening notes by musicologist and bluegrass historian Neil V. Rosenberg, essays from Sara Ruppenthal Katz (Garcia's first wife) and Stu Goldstein (former owner of The Tangent) and rare photos and memorabilia comprise the 32-page book included with the collection.
All of the recordings contained within Before The Dead were restored and mastered by Fred Kevorkian and are presented here in a 180-gram 5LP box set pressed by Quality Record Pressings from lacquers cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol Records.
• Five 180-gram LPs containing over 3.5 hours of studio & live performances culled from previously uncirculated masters and newly discovered recordings
• Audio restoration and mastering by Fred Kevorkian
• Lacquers cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol Studios and pressed to vinyl by Quality Record Pressings
• Produced by Grateful Dead publicist and biographer Dennis McNally and Brian Miksis
• Includes a 32 page book with rare photos, memorabilia and in-depth liner note essays by McNally, Miksis, acclaimed bluegrass scholar Neil V. Rosenberg, Sara Ruppenthal Katz, and Stu Goldstein.
• Limited to 2,500 sets