2017 sees U2's seminal album, The Joshua Tree, turn thirty years young. Released on Island Records in March 1987, the album is considered by many to be the turning point at which the iconic band honed their trademark, stadium-filling sound. Released to universal acclaim and featuring the hit singles "With Or Without You," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Where The Streets Have No Name," The Joshua Tree shot to No. 1 around the world, selling in excess of 25 million copies and catapulting Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr from heroes to superstars.
The album was an instant classic: critics loved that U2 were drawing inspiration from the USA to develop the European sounds they'd explored on 1984's The Unforgettable Fire. The subject material ranges from commentary on America's wealth and hypocrisy to heroin addiction, romantic despair, the loss of a friend, political and economic oppression and totalitarian brutality. In a decade associated with financial success – U2 were a band that had something to say. "Recently I listened back to The Joshua Tree for the first time in nearly 30 years," says Bono. "It's quite an opera. A lot of emotions which feel strangely current, love, loss, broken dreams, seeking oblivion, polarisation...all the greats."
This 30th anniversary 180g 7LP box set from Island Records features: a gatefold double vinyl edition of the original album; a live recording of U2's 1987 concert at New York's Madison Square Garden on the Joshua Tree Tour; rarities and b-sides from the album's original recording sessions; and 2017 remixes by Daniel Lanois, St Francis Hotel, Jacknife Lee, Steve Lillywhite and Flood. The super deluxe package also has an 84-page hardback book of unseen personal photography, shot by U2's The Edge during the original photo session for the album in the Mojave Desert in 1986 and a folio of eight rare 12" Anton Corbijn color prints.
• 7 pieces of original, live and unreleased recordings on 180g 12" vinyl
• 3.5 hours of audio content / 49 tracks (25 unreleased tracks: 17 live, 7 new mixes & archive track)
• The Joshua Tree double album (gatefold)
• The Joshua Tree Live at Madison Square Garden double album 1987 (gatefold)
• The Joshua Tree Remixes
• The Joshua Tree Outtakes
• The Joshua Tree B-Sides
• 84-page hardback book of personal never-before seen photography by The Edge, taken during the original Mojave Desert Joshua Tree shoot, 1986
• Folio of 8 rare 12" Anton Corbijn color prints
• Bespoke boxset with cover featuring a textured embossed gold foiled Joshua Tree icon