Bobby Hutcherson Happenings on LP
Remastered and Reissued As Part of the Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Campaign
Before Bobby Hutcherson rose to fame, the vibraphone was defined by Lionel Hampton, Red Norvo and Milt Jackson. In the 1960s Hutcherson became such a dominant force that vibes players were put into one of two categories: pre or post-Hutcherson. Playing with the power, intensity and inventiveness of a pianist, Hutcherson carved out a voice for his instrument in post bop and the avant-garde.
On Happenings, Hutcherson shows that the presence of Herbie Hancock, rather than inhibiting him or causing him to play it safe, had the opposite effect. Even on Hancock's "Maiden Voyage," the vibraphonist is the star. Hutcherson, who contributes six of his strongest compositions to this colorful set, displays his mastery of modal hard bop, and matches perfectly with Hancock. The music is strikingly original and consistently brilliant!
Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone, marimba)
Herbie Hancock (piano)
Bob Cranshaw (bass)
Joe Chambers (drums)
• Remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums
• Includes special Blue Note 75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Key to the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign is the creation of high quality audio at an affordable price
• Blue Note will celebrate their iconic artists and the history of the label with various events, digital initiatives, vinyl campaigns and more