Calypsoul 70 - Various Artists on Limited Edition 2LP + CD
Caribbean Soul & Calypso Crossover 1969-1970
2008 Duncan Brooker Compilation Appearing on Vinyl for the Very First Time!
Strut presents the first ever vinyl edition of Calypsoul 70, revisiting the 1970s period when pan bands, Calypsonians and local island combos from across the Caribbean were fusing their indigenous sounds with U.S. R&B and funk, echoing the strong social messages of the U.S. black American civil rights leaders and, in the case of several islands, celebrating independence. It was a time in which colonial rule continued to recede and new island identities were being forged.
Soul, jazz and Latin sounds had been constants across the Caribbean during the '60s - now disco and soul were infused with calypso or Afro-centric roots reggae, the carnival sound was injected with black power sensibilities, heavy funk was common currency and local sounds were on the rise.
Compiler Duncan Brooker gives us a snapshot of the many and varied island sounds from the period, bringing together a killer selection of impossibly rare tracks from cult labels like Trex and Wirl alongside private band pressings. Tracks range from the heavy tropical funk of The Revolution of St. Vincent and Magic Circle Express and big band street march blasts by The Hondells and Clarence Curvan to hard, percussive message music from Lancelot Layne and a super-funky Gwen McCrae steel pan cover by Amral's Trinidad Cavaliers Steel Orchestra.
Only ever available on CD and digital formats since its original release in 2008, Calypsoul 70 now receives a well overdue vinyl issue for the first time. The gatefold 2LP package also includes the full original CD version as an insert, detailed sleeve notes by Francis Gooding and rare photos and album artwork.
Calypsoul 70 - Various Artists Track Listing:
1. The Little You Say - The Revolution Of St. Vincent
2. It's A Feeling - St. Maarten's The Rolling Tones
3. A Ver Que Sale - Juan Formel & Los Van Van
4. Calypsoul - Clarence Curvan & His Mod Sounds
5. Yo Tink It Sorf - Lancelot Layne
6. Woman - Sambo
7. Magic Fever - Magic Circle Express
8. Disco Groove - The Checkmates
9. Independent Bahamas - Biosis Now
1. Move Up Blackman- Tyrone Taylor
2. 90% Of Me Is You - Amral's Trinidad Cavaliers Steel Orchestra
3. Raycan - The Hondells
4. Guanavaco - Marius Cultier
5. You Don't Love Me - Gemini Brass
6. Negril - Boris Gardiner
7. We See Jah - Wadadli Experience
8. Freedom In Africa - Duke
9. Blackness Of Darkness - Cedric Im Brooks