Dr. John Locked Down on LP + CD
2013 Grammy Award Winner for Best Blues Album!
Produced by The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach, 2013 Grammy Award Winner for Producer of the Year!
Storied musician and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Dr. John (aka Mac Rebennack) releases Locked Down, a startling album that marks a significant departure from his recent efforts. The new album, produced by The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach, is Dr. John's first for Nonesuch Records.
It’s an entirely new approach for the iconic Dr. John, featuring as it does his collaboration with Auerbach and a band of young musicians the Black Keys frontman hand-picked to make Locked Down at his studio Easy Eye Sound in Nashville, TN. "It was way cool cutting this record with Dan and the crew he put together for it," says Rebennack. "It's real HIP."
For his part, Auerbach says about the collaboration: "Mac inspired me every single day we were in the studio together: musically, spiritually, cosmically, something special seemed to be happening and everyone involved could sense it. For my money, Mac's one of the greatest who ever was and who ever will be, I'm so honored to have had this opportunity to work with him."
Auerbach, a long-time fan of the influential musician, dubbed “the Night Tripper” in the late 60s, visited Dr. John late in 2010 in his hometown of New Orleans, announcing his ambition to produce "the best record you've made in a long time." Rebennack replied that he had done his research, his children had told him good things about The Black Keys, and the conversation led to an agreement to collaborate on the 2011 Bonnaroo Jam being curated by Auerbach.
That performance, called by New York Times critic Ben Ratliff in his best-of-the-year list “deep and oozy, close-to-the-vest, low-frequency funk,” confirmed that something unusual was taking place and led to September recording sessions in Nashville. Dr. John returned to Nashville at Thanksgiving to complete the vocals and Locked Down was mixed by Auerbach and completed in early 2012.
- Dr. John, keyboards, lead vocals
- Dan Auerbach, guitar, percussion, background vocals
- Max Weissenfeldt, drums, percussion, background vocals
- Leon Michels, keyboards, percussion, woodwinds, background vocals
- Nick Movshon, electric and upright bass, percussion, background vocals
- Brian Olive, guitar, percussion, woodwinds, background vocals
- The McCrary Sisters (Regina, Ann & Alfreda), background vocals
- Produced by Dan Auerbach at Easy Eye Sound, Nashville, TN
- Engineered by Collin Dupuis
- Mixed by Dan Auerbach and Collin Dupuis with studio assistance from Danny Tomczak
- Mastered by Brian Lucey at Magic Garden Mastering
Dr. John Locked Down Track Listing:
1. Locked Down
3. Big Shot
4. Ice Age
6. Kingdom of Izzness
7. You Lie
9. My Children, My Angels
10. God's So Good