Elvin Jones The Ultimate on LP
Remastered and Reissued As Part of the Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Campaign
Within a few years of leaving the John Coltrane Quartet, Elvin Jones became a very important bandleader. Due to his consistent brilliance and mastery of polyrhythms, the drummer always inspired his sidemen, bringing out a raw intensity in their playing that was not often heard in other settings.
Produced by Duke Pearson, this 1968 date for Blue Note finds the master drummer in a pianoless trio with Joe Farrell (tenor & soprano saxophone, flute) and Jimmy Garrison (bass) performing a well balanced 6-track set comprised of three Garrison originals ("What Is This?," "Ascendant," "Sometimes Joie"), one from Farrell ("In the Truth") and a pair of standards ("Yesterdays," "We'll Be Together Again").
Elvin Jones (drums)
Joe Farrell (tenor & soprano saxophone, flute)
Jimmy Garrison (bass)
• Remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums
• Includes special Blue Note 75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Key to the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign is the creation of high quality audio at an affordable price
• Blue Note will celebrate their iconic artists and the history of the label with various events, digital initiatives, vinyl campaigns and more
Elvin Jones The Ultimate Track Listing:
1. In the Truth
2. What Is This?
5. Sometimes Joie
6. We'll Be Together Again