Frank Sinatra Duets: 20th Anniversary on 180g 2LP
1993 Album that Started the Trend of ‘Superstar’ Duets Together With Its Follow-Up Duets II
Groundbreaking First Release is The Biggest Worldwide Selling Duets Album in History
What was referred to as “The Recording Event of the Decade,” Frank Sinatra’s groundbreaking and highly successful album Duets was originally released in November 1993, bringing together an array of global superstars, including Charles Aznavour, Anita Baker, Tony Bennett, Bono, Natalie Cole, Gloria Estefan, Aretha Franklin, Kenny G, Julio Iglesias, Liza Minnelli, Carly Simon, Barbra Streisand, and Luther Vandross for an album of standards that included many songs instantly associated with the Chairman of the Board.
To commemorate the 20th Anniversary of the pioneering, multi-platinum selling album, Capitol/UMe presents Frank Sinatra Duets - Twentieth Anniversary, which brings the original Duets album and the follow-up Duets II, together in one gatefold double 180g vinyl set for the first time.
Sinatra recorded his tracks “live” with a 54-piece orchestra at the Capitol studios, the way he originally recorded his classic Capitol albums. In a pioneering move for the recording industry, at various locations using digital technology, Sinatra’s ‘duet’ partners recorded their own vocal tracks to his recordings, allowing them to virtually ‘duet’ with one of the greatest entertainers of all time.
Duets made history, not only for its cutting edge recording techniques, and having a renowned contemporary artist, LeRoy Neiman, specially commissioned for album artwork, but for being one of the most successful selling albums of the year, with the album shipping more than 1.3 million units and putting the 77-year-old Sinatra at the No. 2 spot on the Billboard charts, between Pearl Jam’s Vs. and Meatloaf’s Bat Out Of Hell II.
The highly successful follow-up, Duets II, was released the following year and included Jimmy Buffett, Neil Diamond, Lena Horne, Chrissie Hynde, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Patti LaBelle, Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme, Luis Miguel, Lorrie Morgan, Willie Nelson, Linda Ronstadt, Jon Secada, Frank Sinatra Jr., Stevie Wonder & Gladys Knight. Once again, Sinatra enjoyed a multiplatinum Top 10 record on the charts with Duets II at No. 9 on Billboard’s Top 200 Chart.
Even after 50 years of recording, Frank Sinatra continued to blaze a trail for artists and once again cut across all musical genres. These unique recordings are tributes to his legacy and to the immeasurable impact and influence he continues to have on music today.
Frank Sinatra Duets: 20th Anniversary Track Listing:
LP1 - Duets
1. The Lady Is A Tramp with Luther Vandross
2. What Now My Love with Aretha Franklin
3. I've Got A Crush On You with Barbra Streisand
4. Summer Wind with Julio Iglesias
5. Come Rain Or Come Shine with Gloria Estefan
6. New York, New York with Tony Bennett
7. They Can't Take That Away From Me with Natalie Cole
8. You Make Me Feel So Young with Charles Aznavour
9. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry / In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning with Carly Simon
10. I've Got The World On A String with Liza Minnelli
11. Witchcraft with Anita Baker
12. I've Got You Under My Skin with Bono
13. All The Way / One For My Baby (And One More For The Road) with Kenny G
LP2 - Duets II
1. For Once In My Life with Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder
2. Come Fly With Me with Luis Miguel
3. Bewitched with Patti LaBelle
4. The Best Is Yet To Come with Jon Secada
5. Moonlight In Vermont with Linda Ronstadt
6. Fly Me To The Moon with Antonio Carlos Jobim
7. Luck Be A Lady with Chrissie Hynde
8. A Foggy Day with Willie Nelson
9. Where Or When with Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme
10. Embraceable You with Lena Horne
11. Mack The Knife with Jimmy Buffett
12. How Do You Keep The Music Playing? / My Funny Valentine with Lorrie Morgan
13. My Kind Of Town with Frank Sinatra, Jr.
14. The House I Live In (That's America To Me) with Neil Diamond