Gary Karr Arpeggione Sonata on 180g Import LP
Cut by Kevin Gray from the Original Analogue Master Tapes
Gary Karr, acclaimed as "the world's leading solo bassist" (Time Magazine), is, in fact, the first solo double bassist in history to make that pursuit a full-time career. It is a career that adds new lustre to his already lustrous 1611 Amati double bass which was given to him by the widow of Serge Koussevitzky.
Since his debut with Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic in 1962, Karr has performed as soloist on six continents with orchestras, including the Chicago Symphony, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Hong Kong Philharmonic, Montreal Symphony, Simon Bolivar Orchestra (Caracas, Venezuela), Jerusalem Symphony, Oslo Philharmonic, Zurich Chamber Orchestra, and with all the major orchestras of Australia.
Although it features Schubert's "Arpeggione Sonata," the gem on this recording is certainly the Canadian folksong, "When I Wake In the Morning." It has been a staple encore piece of the Karr/Lewis duo for over 30 years since they first lived in Nova Scotia. Also includes performances of classical works by Rachmaninoff, Saint-Saens, Joplin and Taki.
Gary Karr (double bass)
Harmon Lewis (piano)
• Cut by Kevin Gray from the original analogue master tapes
• Pressed at Pallas GmbH Germany
• Full analogue products used during entire mastering process
Gary Karr Arpeggione Sonata Track Listing:
1. Schubert - Arpeggione Sonata - 1st Mov.: Allegro moderato
2. Schubert - Arpeggione Sonata - 2nd Mov.: Adagio
3. Schubert - Arpeggione Sonata - 3rd Mov.: Allegretto
4. Rachmaninoff - Vocalise, Op.34 No.14
5. Saint-Saens - Le Cygne
6. Joplin - The Entertainer
7. Taki - Kojo No Tsuki
8. When I Wake Up In The Morning
9. Three Catalonian Carols - El Noi De La Mare
10. Three Catalonian Carols - Fum, Fum, Fum
11. Three Catalonian Carols - El Cant Dels Ocells