Hank Mobley Workout on LP
Remastered and Reissued As Part of the Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Campaign
In a word association game, the name Hank Mobley will often generate Blue Note and vice versa. While Mobley had a musical life beyond the Blue Note label including associations with Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and Miles Davis (the 1961 Quintet), it is for his Blue Note recordings that he's rightfully most remembered. Mobley led 25 albums for Blue Note and appeared on over 30 others as a sideman. His consistency resulted in all of those recordings being recommended to hard bop collectors.
Mobley's mastery of the style, his attractive tone, and his skill at writing songs that inspire memorable solos made him a perfect representative of the Blue Note sound. Even with his large number of great recordings, Workout is something special and a real standout. Joined by Grant Green, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones, Mobley creates brilliant statements on four of his best originals (including the soulful "Uh Huh" and "Greasin' Easy"), "The Best Things In Life Are Free" and "Three Coins In A Fountain."
The passion in Mobley's playing is exciting and will surprise many. He takes wild chances that challenge the other all-stars, and he plays with a constant stream of creative ideas. Even collectors who own a dozen other Hank Mobley albums will have to get this version of Workout!
Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone)
Grant Green (guitar)
Wynton Kelly (piano)
Paul Chambers (bass)
Philly Joe Jones (drums)
• Remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums
• Includes special Blue Note 75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Key to the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign is the creation of high quality audio at an affordable price
• Blue Note will celebrate their iconic artists and the history of the label with various events, digital initiatives, vinyl campaigns and more