Jack Johnson Jack Johnson And Friends: Best Of The Kukua Festival on 2LP
Just in time for Earth Day, Brushfire Records will release Jack Johnson and Friends: Best of Kokua Festival. The album features a 13-track compilation of live performances from Jack Johnson’s benefit concerts for the Kokua Hawaii Foundation. Proceeds from Jack Johnson and Friends: Best of Kokua Festival will benefit the Kokua Hawaii Foundation.
Culled from six years of his eco-minded music festival, Jack Johnson and Friends: Best of Kokua Festival, highlights onstage collaborations with legendary musicians like Willie Nelson, Jackson Browne, Eddie Vedder, Ben Harper, Dave Mathews, and Ziggy & Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley among others.
Johnson and his band team up with more than a dozen guest artists to perform both original works and spirited covers of classic songs. The album features several of Johnson’s breezy folk-rock gems, including “Constellations” (with Eddie Vedder), “Mudfootball” (with Ozomatli & G. Love), “Breakdown” (with ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro), and “Better Together” (with Hawaiian singer Paula Fuga).
Elsewhere on Jack Johnson and Friends: Best of Kokua Festival, Johnson joins his guests for stripped-down renditions of their own songs: Taj Mahal offers his bluesy “Further On Down The Road,” Jackson Browne revisits “Take It Easy” with the help of singer/guitarist John Cruz (who also shares his Hawaiian anthem “Island Style”), and the Marley brothers bring the reggae with Ziggy’s “Cry, Cry, Cry” and Damian’s dancehall banger “Welcome to Jamrock.”
Rounding out the record are an eclectic collection of covers, including Bob Marley’s “High Tide or Low Tide” (featuring Ben Harper), Bob Dylan’s “I Shall Be Released” (featuring Eddie Vedder) and Jimmy Buffet’s “A Pirate Looks at Forty” (featuring Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds). Willie Nelson, meanwhile, delivers a Harper-assisted take on “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain,” the Fred Rose-penned classic he popularized.
Held on Earth Day weekend at Honolulu’s Waikiki Shell since its inception in 2004, the Kokua Festival serves as both a community-centered celebration of music and environmental awareness and as the major fundraiser for the Kokua Hawaii Foundation (a nonprofit organization founded by Johnson and his wife Kim in 2003 to support environmental education in the schools and communities of Hawaii). Like the festival itself, Jack Johnson and Friends: Best of Kokua Festival spotlights artists who share the Kokua Hawaii Foundation’s mission of protecting the planet and cultivating environmental consciousness.
Jack Johnson Jack Johnson And Friends: Best Of The Kukua Festival Track Listing:
1. Better Together - Jack Johnson with Paula Fuga
2. Cry, Cry, Cry - Ziggy Marley with Jack Johnson & Paula Fuga
3. A Pirate Looks At Forty - Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds
4. Mudfootball - Jack Johnson with Ozomatli & G. Love
5. Constellations - Jack Johnson with Eddie Vedder & Kawika Kahiapo
6. Take It Easy - Jackson Browne with Jack Johnson & John Cruz
7. Island Style - John Cruz with Jack Johnson & Jackson Browne
1. Breakdown - Jack Johnson with Jake Shimabukuro
2. Further On Down The Road - Taj Mahal with Jack Johnson
3. Welcome To Jamrock - Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley with Jack Johnson & Paula Fuga
5. Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain - Willie Nelson with Jack Johnson & Ben Harper
6. I Shall Be Released - Jack Johnson, Eddie Vedder, Zach Gill & Friends