Joe Henderson The State Of The Tenor: Live At The Village Vanguard, Volume 1 on LP
Remastered and Reissued As Part of the Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Campaign
From November 14 to 16 in 1985, the Joe Henderson trio held court at the Village Vanguard for a legendary 10-set engagement, some of which was recorded for Blue Note and released in 1986 as two volumes under the declarative banner The State of the Tenor. The saxophone titan was 48 at the time, and sat comfortably at the top of the heap among his peers. The great pugilist of the instrument, his muscular approach was reflective of the brash sensibility of the '80s; the heavy hitters joining him onstage, bassist Ron Carter and drummer Al Foster, complemented Henderson's take-no-prisoners style with a sense of airy restraint, swinging big when they needed to fill in the negative space.
On The State of the Tenor, Volume 1, Henderson pays tribute to saxophone titans like Sam Rivers on his gorgeous ballad "Beatrice." Henderson was hard-edged where Rivers was lush, manic and disjunctive. He further shows his tender side on the ballads "Ask Me Now," one of two Thelonious Monk tunes on Volume 1 and a staple of his repertoire, and "Happy Reunion," a delicate tune that features Henderson as the bull in Duke Ellington's china shop." On "Isotope," Henderson's lone original, he takes the tune in a more radioactive direction, and it is here where his explosiveness goes nuclear. "Loose Change," Carter's sole compositional contribution, offers a glimpse into the straight-ahead hard bop playing that made Henderson's name.
In 1985, Joe Henderson brought his renegade style to the Village Vanguard, and as others had done in previous generations, truly redefined the state of the tenor in the process!
Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone)
Ron Carter (bass)
Al Foster (drums)
• Remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums
• Includes special Blue Note 75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Key to the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign is the creation of high quality audio at an affordable price
• Blue Note will celebrate their iconic artists and the history of the label with various events, digital initiatives, vinyl campaigns and more
Joe Henderson The State Of The Tenor - Live At The Village Vanguard, Volume 1 Track Listing:
2. Friday The Thirteenth
3. Happy Reunion
4. Loose Change
5. Ask Me Now