John Coltrane The Atlantic Years In Mono on Limited Edition 180g 6LP + 7" Box Set
While John Coltrane first gained attention for his revolutionary ‘sheets of sound' technique, it was the deep spirituality of his music that really made his recordings as a bandleader such classics. The albums he recorded for Atlantic Records in 1959 and 1960 really represent the heart of his legacy. For the first time since their original release, this box set gathers his mono recordings from the Atlantic vaults to be released as a limited edition 180g 6LP set with bonus 7" vinyl single.
Fully remastered in glorious mono, original studio albums include: Giant Steps (1960), Bags & Trane (1961) with Milt Jackson, Ole Coltrane (1962), Coltrane Plays The Blues (1962), and The Avant Garde (1966) and with Don Cherry. The sixth LP features outtakes, and a replica of the original 7" single of "My Favorite Things Part I & II," a hit for Coltrane in 1961, is also included. The set is rounded out by a 12" x 12", 32-page, perfect-bound booklet, with period photos by Lee Friedlander and liner notes notes by Grammy-winning jazz writer Ashley Kahn. The entire set comes packaged in an elegant cloth-bound box.
• Limited Edition 180g 6LP Box Set w/ bonus 7" Single
• Original studio albums in glossy tip-on LP sleeves, replicating the original artwork and labels. Giant Steps (1960), Bags & Trane (1961) with Milt Jackson, Ole Coltrane (1962), Coltrane Plays The Blues (1962), The Avant Garde (1966) with Don Cherry.
• One LP of outtakes and a replica of the original "My Favorite Things Part I & II" 7" single, a hit for John Coltrane in 1961
• 12" x 12", 32-page, perfect-bound booklet, with period photos by Lee Friedlander
• Liner notes by Grammy-winning jazz writer Ashley Kahn
• Packaged in an elegant cloth-bound box