Lee Morgan Search For The New Land on LP
Remastered and Reissued As Part of the Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Campaign
Renowned in jazz ever since he emerged in the Dizzy Gillespie big band of 1956, and crowned early on as the late Clifford Brown's successor among promising young trumpeters, Lee Morgan packed a lot of living into the next 16 years. A member of arguably the finest versions of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers (playing alongside Benny Golson or Wayne Shorter), Morgan recorded regularly for Blue Note as both a leader and a sideman for virtually his entire career.
He had a major hit recording with "The Sidewinder" in 1963 and was on a countless number of significant Blue Note recordings, stretching his hard bop style while being open to the influences of the avant-garde, post bop and late 1960s R&B. Only his untimely death in 1972 kept him from challenging Freddie Hubbard as the top jazz trumpeter of the 1970s.
While Morgan's boogaloo recordings were very popular, Search For The New Land is one of his finest hours. Recorded right after The Sidewinder, Search For The New Land introduces five of Morgan's most challenging compositions, has him leading an all-star sextet (with Wayne Shorter, Grant Green and Herbie Hancock) and features him playing stirring and intense solos that rank not only with his greatest work but the most creative trumpet solos of the mid-1960s.
Lee Morgan, trumpet
Wayne Shorter, tenor saxophone
Grant Green, guitar
Herbie Hancock, piano
Reginald Workman, bass
Billy Higgins, drums
• Remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums
• Includes special Blue Note 75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Key to the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign is the creation of high quality audio at an affordable price
• Blue Note will celebrate their iconic artists and the history of the label with various events, digital initiatives, vinyl campaigns and more
Lee Morgan Search For The New Land Track Listing:
1. Search For The New Land
2. The Joker
3. Mr. Kenyatta
5. Morgan The Pirate