Lost Legends Of Surf Guitar Various Artists on Limited Edition 180g 2LP from Sundazed
Mastered from Rare Vintage Tapes and Pressed On High-Quality Vinyl!
It's hard to think of a musical style that's more quintessentially American than surf music. Springing up along the California coast in the early 1960s, the surf sound, characterized by "wet"-sounding guitar reverb that echoed the sound of the sea and pummeling rhythms that emulated the ocean's currents, was originally inspired and nurtured by the culture that surrounded the sport. Despite its provincial origins, the surf genre captured the imagination of teenagers around the world, and spawned a remarkably large body of highly original music, with an emphasis on innovative guitar instrumentals that would influence rock axemen for decades to come.
Much of that vintage surf music was originally released on small regional labels, and many of the acts that created some of the greatest surf music never released more than a handful of singles. Those factors resulted in many original surf classics remaining difficult to obtain in recent years. Sundazed Music, a longstanding champion of vintage surf music, went a long way towards remedying that situation with the release of its CD series Lost Legends of Surf Guitar. The series has been widely recognized for rescuing numerous rare, obscure and/or lesser-known gems from surf music's golden age. Now, the landmark series moves into second gear, progressing into the vinyl format with a pair of double-LP collections, each of which features 28 below-the-radar vintage surf killers.
Lost Legends of Surf Guitar gathers a rousing, roaring assortment of underground surf classics and underappreciated gems by such notable surf combos as the Challengers, the Pyramids, the Tornadoes, Jerry Cole & His Spacemen, the Catalinas, the Centurions, the Essex, the Jesters, the Rhythm Rockers, the Royal Coachmen, the Tandems and Dave Myers and His Surftones, as well as numbers by both the Surfaris and the Original Surfaris! There's also a rarely-heard track by legendary Minnesota surf-garage kings the Trashmen, the out-there "Devil Surfer" by Scott Engel (who would soon go on to pop stardom and cult acclaim as Scott Walker) and scarce versions of such surf anthems as "Jack the Ripper," "Point Panic" and "Moondawg."
This essential collection, meticulously mastered from rare vintage tapes and pressed on high-quality vinyl, is the perfect collection for gremmie and ho-dad alike, so grab this wave and jump head-first into the surf!
Lost Legends Of Surf Guitar Various Artists Track Listing:
1. LOOPHOLE: The Royal Coachmen
2. BIG NOISE FROM WAIMEA: The Ebb Tides
3. GEAR!: Dave Myers and His Surftones
4. THE BREEZE AND I: Steve and the Emperors
5. FAILSAFE: The Original Surfaris
6. DEVIL SURFER: Scott Engel
7. SHOCKWAVE: Zorba and the Greeks
8. THE RISING SURF: The Tandems
9. CONTACT: The Pyramids
10. SURFS UP: The Original Surfaris
11. CEMETERY STOMP: The Essex
12. THE JESTER: The Jesters
13. REPEATING: The Royal Coachmen
14. PRESSURE: The Pyramids
15. IAN FLEMING THEME: The Menn
16. PRAY FOR SURF: The Essex
17. POINT SURF: The Surf Teens
18. ISHAMATSU: The Centurions
19. EXOTIC: The Original Surfaris
20. BEYOND THE SURF: The Tandems
21. FUGITIVE: Jan Davis
22. JACK THE RIPPER: The Surfaris
23. BANZAI WASHOUT: The Catalinas
24. POINT PANIC: Jerry Cole & His Spacemen
25. BURNING RUBBER: Gene “The Draggin’ King” Moles
26. WALK, DON’T RUN: The Trashmen
27. SHOOTIN’ BEAVERS: The Tornadoes
28. MOONDAWG: The Rhythm Rockers