Mike Doughty Stellar Motel on 2LP
Singer/songwriter Mike Doughty takes a sharp turn into hip-hop on Stellar Motel, his first all-original studio album in three years. Produced by DJ Good Goose, guests include rappers MC Frontalot, Miss Eaves, Big Dipper, Jay Boogie, Kim from the Japanese band Uhnellys, country singer Laura Lee Bishop, Brooklyn saxophone-and-drums band Moon Hooch, and the female rap trio Hand Job Academy.
From the moment a propulsive beat bangs into the twinkling banjo intro of first track (and first single) "Light Will Keep Your Heart Beating in the Future," it's clear that Stellar Motel is a different Mike Doughty album. Powered by youthful collaborators, every moment of this album feels vital and exciting. Doughty was particularly inspired by the Brooklyn queer hip-hop underground, and out rappers Big Dipper, Jay Boogie and Hand Job Academy's Uncle Meg deliver some of the album's best verses.
Doughty says, "I'm lucky, in that I love the touring life, and, particularly in these days, I'm an obsessive social-media maker and watcher. I make sure I love every piece of music I write and record, and I look for inspired and wonderful people to work with. It's a stressful job, but I've been doing it for 20 years - I can't imagine wanting to stop."
Mike Doughty Stellar Motel Track Listing:
1. Light Will Keep Your Heart Beating in the Future
2. When the Night Is Long
3. Oh My God Yeah Fuck It (feat. Moon Hooch and Miss Eaves)
4. Raging On
5. Let Me Lie (feat. Big Dipper)
6. These Are Your Friends
7. Let's Go To The Motherfucking Movies
8. The Champion (feat. MC Frontalot)
9. Pretty Wild (feat. Ash Wednesday, Clara Bizna$$, and Uncle Meg from Hand Job Academy)
10. When You Come Home
11. 走馬灯 (feat. Kim from Uhnellys) *
12. This Is Change
13. To See the Sun Come Down (feat. Jay Boogie)
14. The Brightness
15. In The Rising Sun (feat. Laura Lee Bishop)
16. Better Days Come Around
* 走馬灯 is pronounced "somato" and means "a revolving lantern"