Sound City: Real To Reel - Various Artists on 180g 2LP + Download
All-New Original Album of Music Created Exclusively for the New Feature Length Documentary by Dave Grohl!
Featuring Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Jim Keltner, Rick Springﬁeld, Trent Reznor, Joshua Homme, Rick Nielsen, Lee Ving, Corey Taylor, Brad Wilk, Tim Commerford & Dave Grohl!
Deep in the San Fernando Valley, behind the train tracks and amidst dilapidated warehouses, was rock n’ roll’s best kept secret. Sound City, America’s greatest unsung recording studio, housed a legendary, one-of-a-kind recording console, and became the birth place to the seminal albums that deﬁned 20th century music. Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Rick Springﬁeld, Tom Petty, Nirvana, amongst many others, all put magic to tape within these walls. It was rock 'n' roll hallowed ground.
Directed by Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) and featuring interviews and performances by the iconic musicians who made their careers in the studio, Sound City tells the story of real rock n’ roll history, and celebrates the human element of music, as Grohl gathers some of rock’s greatest artists to collaborate on a new album. Using Sound City’s legendary analog console, together they continue to create musical miracles in a digital world.
The ﬁlm was conceived by Grohl after purchasing the legendary custom-built Neve 8028 recording console from Sound City Studios last year. The board, built in 1972, is considered by many to be the crown jewel of analog recording equipment, having recorded countless musical legends over the past 40 years. Sound City is slated to premiere at Sundance 2013 in January, followed by a February 1 theatrical release, in association with Variance Films.
On March 12, 2013, Sound City: Real To Reel, the companion album to the documentary is due out on Roswell Records, in conjunction with the ﬁlm’s DVD and Blu-Ray releases. A brand new collection of all-new all-original songs, each song featured on the album was composed and recorded exclusively for the ﬁlm within its own 24-hour session on that console after it was reinstalled in Grohl and his Foo Fighters’ own 606 Studios.
The new tracks - featuring an amazing and idiosyncratic cast of collaborators including Paul McCartney, Grohl’s former Nirvana and current Foo Fighters bandmates, Stevie Nicks, Rick Springﬁeld, Trent Reznor, Joshua Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, Lee Ving of Fear, Corey Taylor of Slipknot, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford of Rage Against The Machine and more - passionately exemplify Sound City’s celebration of the human element of musicianship and recording in an increasingly digital world.
The album’s ﬁrst single “Cut Me Some Slack” - is the original studio recording of the track recently performed live by Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear at the historic 12-12-12 beneﬁt concert, as well as on the December 15th Saturday Night Live holiday episode.
Sound City: Real To Reel Track Listing:
1. Heaven And Hell – Robert Levon Been, Dave Grohl, Peter Hayes
2. Time Slowing Down – Chris Goss, Tim Commerford, Dave Grohl, Brad Wilk
3. You Can't Fix This – Stevie Nicks, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Rami Jaffee
4. The Man That Never Was – Rick Springﬁeld, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear
5. Your Wife Is Calling – Lee Ving, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Alain Johannes, Pat Smear
6. From Can To Can't – Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen, Scott Reeder
7. Centipede – Joshua Homme, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, Alain Johannes
8. A Trick With No Sleeve – Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme
9. Cut Me Some Slack – Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear
10. If I Were Me – Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Rami Jaffee, Jim Keltner
11. Mantra – Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, Trent Reznor