Stravinsky - The Firebird - Antal Dorati - London Symphony Orchestra on 180g LP
Mercury Living Presence Vinyl Series
Cut at Abbey Road Studios from Wilma Cozart Fine's 3-2 Mixdown of First-Generation 3-Track 1/2" Tape
It was a startling development in the world of high fidelity when Mercury released its first Living Presence recording in 1951. Listening to the recording of Moussorgsky’s “Pictures at an Exhibition” with the Chicago Symphony under Rafael Kubelik, Howard Taubman, then chief music critic of the New York Times, wrote it was “like being in the living presence of the orchestra.” Following this spectacular first release, Mercury produced more than 350 classical LP records during the next 19 years.
Mercury’s innovative approach, master-minded by recording engineer C. Robert Fine, was based on the premise that, given a hall with excellent acoustical properties, a single ultra-sensitive microphone should be capable of capturing the sound of a symphony orchestra with unprecedented clarity, realistic balance and crisp definition. Though single-microphone recordings had been made before, the idea of recording large-scale symphonic works was bold and innovative. When the stereo era dawned in the mid-1950’s, Fine expanded and improved on this technique, opting for three microphones (left, center, right) to capture the full width, height and depth of the orchestral sound along with startling clarity and detail.
Part of the Mercury Living Presence vinyl series, Antal Doráti and the London Symphony Orchestra's performance of Igor Stravinsky's The Firebird was recorded in Watford Town Hall, outside London, on June 7, 1959 on half-inch 3-track tape using 3 Telefunken 201 microphones. This LP was cut at Abbey Road Studios from Wilma Cozart Fine's 3-2 mixdown of first-generation 3-track 1/2" tape. Pressed on 180 gram vinyl with the original LP cover art and liner notes included.
Igor Stravinsky (composer)
Antal Doráti (conductor)
London Symphony Orchestra
Stravinsky - The Firebird - Antal Dorati - London Symphony Orchestra Track Listing:
1. Introduction And The Enchanted Garden Of Kastchei
2. Visit Of The Firebird Followed By Prince Ivan
3. Dance Of The Firebird
4. Prince Ivan Captures The Firebird
5. An Appeareance Of Thirteen Princesses
6. Game Of The Princesses With The Golden Apples
7. Sudden Appearance Of Prince Ivan
8. Round-Dance Of The Princesses
10. The Demonic Bells, Apparition Of Monster-Guards Of Kastchei And The Capture Of Prince Ivan
11. Dialogue Of Prince Ivan And Kastchei
12. Infernal Dance Of Kastchei And His Court And The Lullaby
13. Kastchei's Death
14. Animation Of The Petrified Knights And General Rejoicing