The Minimal Wave Tapes Vol. 2 Various Artists on 2LP
This is the second volume of The Minimal Wave Tapes series, a collection of rare electronic music compiled from bands around the world. Most of the songs were recorded in the 1980s and originally released on cassettes or vinyl by the artists themselves, and only a handful of people knew about them. Now they've been remastered from their analog source tapes, brought to you by Veronica Vasicka and Peanut Butter Wolf.
The Minimal Wave musical genre was hallmarked by the use of the analog synths and drum machines manufactured in the '70s and '80s, and characterized by simple music structures made by musicians working in the early D.I.Y. aesthetic: recording on tape in their home studios, creating their own album artwork, and often collaborating via postage mail. The fanzine CLEM (Contact List Of Electronic Musicians) was very influential in creating a worldwide community for this sort of music, before digital technology and the Internet came into play.
Minimal Wave the label was founded in New York City in 2005 by Veronica Vasicka, who focused the label solely on obscure Minimal Wave recordings, researching, re-mastering and releasing them on limited vinyl and digitally.
The Minimal Waves Tapes fits neatly into Stones Throw Records'
own tradition of compiling or reissuing the independent music of the
past which influences the independent music we make today ie '60s funk (The Funky 16 Corners), early '80s hip-hop (The Third Unheard) and West Coast electro/rap (Arabian Prince's Innovative Life) to name a few. Featuring 14-tracks on gatefold 2LP.
The Minimal Wave Tapes Vol. 2 Various Artists Track Listing:
1. Hard Corps - Dirty (UK, 1984)
2. In Trance 95 - Presidente (Greece, 1988)
3. Philippe Laurent - Distorsion (France, 1984)
4. Das Ding - H.S.T.A. (Netherlands, 1982)
5. Subject - What Happened To You? (Belgium, 1982)
6. Ohama - The Drum (Canada, 1984)
7. Geneva Jacuzzi - The Sleep Room (Los Angeles, USA, 2004)
8. Antonym - Cinnamon Air (UK, 1983)
9. Ruins - Fire (Italy, 1984)
10. Ende Shneafliet - Animals From Outer Space (Netherlands, 1981)
11. Felix Kubin - Japan Japan (Germany, 1985)
12. Class Info - Out Of Line (Canada, 1984)
13. In Aeternam Vale - Annie (France, 1984)
14. Aural Indifference - Theme (Australia, 1981)