Yes Progeny: Highlights From Seventy-Two on 180g 3LP
90-Minutes of Previously Unreleased Pristine Performances from Yes' Legendary '70s Line-Up During Their Close To The Edge Tour!
Restored from the Original Multitrack Tapes
Yes was firing on all cylinders in the fall of 1972. The prog-rock pioneers’ fifth studio album Close To The Edge was a smash success as audiences around the world packed arenas to see the legendary group perform. The band captured the magic of that tour on its first live album, Yessongs. Released in 1973, the triple-LP sold over a million copies and blew minds with Roger Dean’s iconic artwork.
The band recently discovered recordings of seven complete concerts from the weeks leading up to the shows heard on Yessongs. The latest audio technology was used to restore the reel-to-reel recordings and bring out incredible sonic detail, creating an open, immediate sound that drops listeners right into the front row.
Rhino has assembled three new releases featuring previously unreleased music included on these newly discovered tapes. Progeny: Highlights From Seventy-Two includes 90 minutes of live recordings across three 180g LPs selected from various shows. The music flows like a typical setlist from the tour as it spotlights standout performances from different cities.
This was Yes’ first tour with drummer Alan White, who’s been with the band ever since. He replaced Bill Bruford, who recorded Close To The Edge before leaving to join King Crimson. White only had three days to learn the band’s live show before his first night on stage with Jon Anderson (vocals), Steve Howe (guitar), Chris Squire (bass) and Rick Wakeman (keyboards).
Recorded three months into the tour, these powerful performances attest to how quickly the new line-up came together musically as they navigate hits like “Roundabout,” and complex pieces like “And You and I.” Even though the setlist didn’t vary much from night to night, the individual performances are strikingly different.
Yes Progeny - Highlights From Seventy-Two Track Listing:
1. Opening (Excerpt From Firebird Suite) / Siberian Khatru (Live At Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York November 20, 1972)
2. I've Seen All Good People: Your Move / All Good People (Live At Knoxville Civic Coliseum, Knoxville, Tennessee November 15, 1972)
3. Heart Of The Sunrise (Live At Knoxville Civic Coliseum, Knoxville, Tennessee November 15, 1972)
4. Clap/Mood For A Day (Live At Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina November 12, 1972)
1. And You And I [I. Cord Of Life, II. Eclipse, III. The Preacher The Teacher, IV. Apocalypse] (Live At Cameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, North Carolina November 11, 1972)
2. Close To The Edge (I. The Solid Time Of Change, II. Total Mass Retain, III. I Get Up I Get Down, IV. Seasons Of Man) (Live At Cameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, North Carolina November 11, 1972)
1. Excerpts From "The Six Wives Of Henry VIII" (Live At Cameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, North Carolina)
2. Roundabout (Live At Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Ontario October 31, 1972)
3. Yours Is No Disgrace (Live At Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina November 12, 1972)