Hybrid Multi-Channel and Stereo SACD Recorded by Grammy-Winning Engineer Jim Anderson in DXD Ultra-High Resolution (32bit/352.8 kHz), Mixed at Skywalker Sound and Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering!
Patricia Barber, the performer known for boldly blurring the lines between poetry, jazz, and art song, returns with the new all-standards album, Clique, in breathtaking hi-fi. The long-awaited successor to Nightclub, her critically acclaimed and fan-favorite first all-standards album, Clique features a tracklist of tunes that Barber has frequently performed as encores throughout her illustrious career, including classics by Rodgers & Hammerstein, Stevie Wonder, Lee Hazlewood, Lerner & Loewe, Thelonious Monk and more.
After growing an international cult following, earning the first-ever Guggenheim Fellowship awarded to a non-classical songwriter, and becoming an elected member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Barber is back with a "silk, velvet, languid, warm" journey through music history as she "respects traditions, bends them to make her own points, and freshens them into something new," as noted in the album liner notes by NPR's Susan Stamberg. "The harmonic language of jazz, as well as that of the Great American Songbook, is certainly rich - look how much has come out of it - but it's circumscribed. I started wanting to hear something else," Barber shares.
These are relaxed, communal sessions. Her long-time core duo of bassist Patrick Mulcahy and drummer Jon Deitemyer ride up and down, in and out of Barber's complex, sensitive playing and reflective singing. The support of her long-term players, along with guitarist Neal Alger and saxophonist Jim Gailloreto allow her to shine brightly while digging out striking moments for their own unique contributions. The chemistry is palpable, all encompassing. This group's long-developed synergy - painstakingly curated by these musicians for years -- provides both a metaphor and the perfect title for her new album.
Impex Records, Patricia Barber, and Jim Anderson invite you to experience the music, revel in the mastery, and join the Clique!
Patricia Barber, piano & vocals
Jim Gailloreto, saxophone
Neal Alger, guitar
Patrick Mulcahy, bass
Jon Deitemyer, drums
• Hybrid Super Audio CD from Impex Records
• Multi-channel SACD Layer
• Stereo SACD layer
• 'Red Book' CD Layer playable on most conventional CD Players!
• Full resolution 5.1 surround & stereo mixes
• Recorded by Grammy-winning engineer Jim Anderson in DXD ultra-high resolution (32bit/352.8 kHz)
• Mixed by Jim Anderson at Skywalker Sound
• Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering
• Technical Producer Ulrike Schwarz, Anderson Audio New York
• Recorded using Merging+Clock U Technologies & Music Chords Power Distribution
• Pressed at Sonopress in Germany
• Strikingly designed packaging with never-before-seen photos & engaging essays by Jazz Times' Thomas Conrad, NPR correspondent Susan Stamberg, Jim Anderson & Patricia Barber
- This Town
- Trouble Is A Man
- Samba De Uma Nota Só (One Note Samba)
- I Could Have Danced All Night
- The In Crowd
- Shall We Dance?
- Straight No Chaser
- All In Love Is Fair