Newly Discovered, Previously Unreleased Bill Evans Trio Concert from 1975 featuring Audio Restoration by Plangent Processes and Meticulous Mastering by Paul Blakemore!
Craft Recordings presents On a Friday Evening, a newly-discovered live performance by the Bill Evans Trio, featuring Eddie Gómez on bass and Eliot Zigmund on drums. The previously unreleased concert took place on June 20, 1975, at Oil Can Harry's, Vancouver, BC. Captured for radio host Gary Barclay, it was aired on his popular CHQM jazz show. For nearly half a century, the tapes lay forgotten – until now!
Thanks to audio restoration by Plangent Processes and meticulous mastering by Paul Blakemore, it sounds just as fresh today as it did in 1975. The 9-track, 180g vinyl 2LP outing includes liner notes from music journalist Neil Tesser, who incorporates new interviews with trio members Eddie Gomez and Eliot Zigmund, along with meticulous, track-by-track details on the evening's program – which included both original compositions and standards.
On a Friday Evening offers listeners the rare chance to hear Evans and his bandmates settling into a new reconfiguration of the trio, which Zigmund had joined just months before. Tesser explains that this live recording "merit[s] attention, and much of that comes from hearing Zigmund, in an intimate setting away from the concert hall, finding his place in the lineage of the most important piano trio of its era – a trio that for 15 years had exploded the established piano-plus-accompanists model and replaced it with a true trialogue among instruments."
• 180g vinyl 2LP pressing from Craft Recordings
• Newly discovered, previously unreleased Bill Evans Trio concert from 1975
• Breakout from Everybody Still Digs Bill Evans: A Career Retrospective (1956-1980)
• State-of-the-art tape transfer and audio restoration by Plangent Processes
• Mastering by Paul Blakemore
• New liner notes from Grammy-winning writer, radio host, and music journalist Neil Tesser
- Sareen Jurer (live)
- Sugar Plum (live)
- The Two Lonely People (live)
- T. T. T. (Twelve Tone Tune) (live)
- Quiet Now (live)
- Up with the Lark (live)
- How Deep Is the Ocean (live)
- Blue Serge (live)
- Nardis (live)