Expanded 40th Anniversary 180g 3LP Reissue featuring All-Analog Mastering of the Original Album Mix by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering Plus Select Bonus Content from The Vault; Pressed at Pallas in Germany
Frank Zappa's 1978 live landmark Zappa In New York gets an expanded 40th anniversary reissue! The release commemorates the four historic, sold-out concerts that the trailblazing artist played at the Palladium in New York City, between Christmas and New Year's 1976. The subsequent album featured the best-played performances with studio overdubs. First planned for 1977 release, Zappa In New York was delayed for a year because of censorship issues with the record label, primarily over the controversial song "Punky's Whips." Band member Ruth Underwood went on to describe the shows in the New York run as "theatrical, outrageous and raucously funny, but also filled with startling and gorgeous music, dating from Frank's 1960s output to literally the moment the curtain went up."
The beloved collection of Zappa songs included a remarkable live version of "Sofa" as well as nine new compositions, among them the complex, percussion-based "The Black Page." That track has become known in the drumming community as the ultimate challenge for any drummer. Also in the set list is the comedic send-up "Titties & Beer" and the aforementioned "Punky's Whips," which was about Punky Meadows, the flamboyant guitarist for the band Angel. The anniversary edition has been overseen by the Zappa Family Trust and produced by Ahmet Zappa and Vaultmeister Joe Travers. The expanded 180 gram audiophile grade triple vinyl edition, pressed at Pallas in Germany, features all-analogue mastering of the original album mix by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, unavailable since the first release. An additional LP of bonus content from The Vault and new liner notes from Underwood, Ray White and Travers is also included.
Zappa's exceptional band for the shows featured Ray White on vocals and guitar, Terry Bozzio on drums and vocals, Eddie Jobson on keyboard, Ruth Underwood on percussion and synthesizer, Patrick O'Hearn on bass and vocals and David Samuels on timpani and vibes. Don Pardo provided "sophisticated narration"; the brass section, featuring jazz duo the Brecker Brothers with Randy Brecker on trumpet and Michael Brecker on tenor saxophone, was rounded out by the SNL players, with Lou Marini on alto sax, Ronnie Cuber on baritone sax and Tom Malone on trombone.
• Expanded 40th anniversary reissue
• 3 x 180-gram audiophile grade vinyl LP
• Overseen by the Zappa Family Trust and produced by Ahmet Zappa and Vaultmeister Joe Travers
• All-analog mastering of the original album mix, unavailable since first issued
• Third LP of select bonus content from The Vault
• Mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering
• New liner notes from Ruth Underwood, Ray White and Joe Travers
• Pressed at Pallas in Germany
- Titties 'N' Beer
- I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth
- Big Leg Emma
- Manx Needs Women
- The Black Page Drum Solo/Black Page #1
- Black Page #2
- Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
- The Illinois Enema Bandit
- The Purple Lagoon
- Black Napkins
- Cruisin' For Burgers 1977 Mix
- The Black Page #2 Piano Version
- I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth Alt. Version
- Punky's Whips Unused Version
- The Black Page #1 Piano Version