CHIEFTAINS/LONG BLACK VEIL *GOLD*
Mobile Fidelity really scores here with a stellar remastering of The Chieftains’ 1995 release The Long Black Veil on 24k Gold CD. Using their proprietary ULTRADISC II Mastering System, MFSL has really brought this title to life. This star-studded duets album brings together, among others, Van Morrison, Ry Cooder, The Rolling Stones, Marianne Faithfull, Sinead O'Connor and Sting, and makes every last one of them sound as though they were born to be a Chieftain. The album's success lies mainly within the Chieftains’ incredible ability to harmoniously integrate such seemingly diverse performers into the hearth and heart of their warm, trademark Celtic sound. For nearly forty years, the Chieftains have been the music ambassadors of Ireland and through the last decade have bridged the gap into more modern music. The Long Black Veil is their finest effort in this field. The choice of artists match each song perfectly, whether its Van Morrison’s gorgeous “Have I Told You Lately,” Mick Jagger’s vocals on the title cut, Sting singing in Gaelic, or the great Ry Cooder’s haunting rendition of “The Coast of Malabar.” The Chieftains are revered by many the world over, and on The Long Black Veil, some of their more famous fans paid them a musical tribute with their performances here. This is an album that needs to be heard weather you are a Chieftain’s fan or a fan of their collaborators on this fantastic project. Highly recommended!
'Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?,' performed with Van Morrison, won a 1996 Grammy Award for Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals. THE LONG BLACK VEIL was nominated for a 1996 Grammy for Best Contemporary Folk Album.
- Mo Ghile Mear - (with Sting)
- Long Black Veil, The - (with Mick Jagger)
- Foggy Dew, The - (with Sinead O'Connor)
- Have I Told You Lately That I Love You? - (with Van Morrison)
- Changing Your Demeanour
- Lily Of The West, The - (with Mark Knopfler)
- Coast Of Malabar - (with Ry Cooder)
- Dunmore Lassies - (instrumental, with Ry Cooder)
- Love Is Teasin' - (with Marianne Faithfull)
- He Moved Through The Fair - (with Sinead O'Connor)
- Ferny Hill - (instrumental)
- Tennessee Waltz / Tennessee Mazurka - (with Tom Jones)
- Rocky Road To Dublin, The - (with The Rolling Stones)