Sonny Clark Leapin' And Lopin' on LP
Remastered and Reissued As Part of the Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Campaign
It is some jazz musicians’ fate to be better known after their death than during their lifetime, a legend today when they were actually overshadowed by others during their prime. Sonny Clark, who died in January 1963 at the age of 31 due to self-abuse, never achieved the headlines of Thelonious Monk, Oscar Peterson and Dave Brubeck, to name just three more famous pianists from the time.
Blue Note fans have always known about Clark, since he led seven superb albums for the label. Fans of Bud Powell knew that Clark was one of his top disciples, and collectors of Buddy DeFranco's records of the early 1950s were aware of his contributions to the clarinetist's recordings. But to a public that bought Erroll Garner and George Shearing records, Sonny Clark was an unknown name.
It was not until after his death that the music world seemed to finally realize what it had lost. On Leapin' And Lopin', his last recording as a leader, Clark, for the first and only time, leads a quintet featuring trumpeter Tommy Turrentine and tenor-saxophonist Charlie Rouse. The pianist introduces a few of his final originals, takes many sparkling solos, and is heard at the peak of his powers, carving out his place in jazz history. This is timeless music and, although Sonny Clark may have been taken for granted during his life, he is now rightfully considered one of jazz's irreplaceable immortals.
Sonny Clark (piano)
Tommy Turrentine (trumpet)
Charlie Rouse (tenor saxophone)
Butch Warren (bass)
Billy Higgins (drums)
• Remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums
• Includes special Blue Note 75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Key to the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign is the creation of high quality audio at an affordable price
• Blue Note will celebrate their iconic artists and the history of the label with various events, digital initiatives, vinyl campaigns and more
Sonny Clark Leapin' And Lopin' Track Listing:
1. Somethin' Special
2. Deep in a Dream
3. Melody for C
4. Eric Walks
5. Voodoo Clark
6. Midnight Mambo
7. Zellmar's Delight