The Best Of Trojan Reggae Vol. 1 - Various Artists on LP
First wave in a series of LPs celebrating the re-launch of Trojan Records in the US. Towards the close of 1968, the Jamaican music scene experienced the latest of a series of major musical revolutions, as the cool sound of rock steady was usurped by a jumpier, less sedate style that quickly became widely known as reggae. The Best Of Trojan Reggae Vol. 1 features 12 tracks including classics from Desmond Dekker & The Aces, Dave & Ansel Collins, John Holt and more!
Launched in the summer of 1968, Trojan dominated the UK reggae scene throughout the late sixties and early seventies, issuing the best new sounds that both Jamaican and British music makers had to offer. Between 1969 and 1975, the company released well over two thousand 7” singles, of which no less than 28 breached the UK Top 50 chart. During the same period, it issued some 300 albums, highlighting the latest Reggae chart toppers, such as Desmond Dekker, John Holt, Toots & the Maytals and Ken Boothe, along with music from lesser-known artists, whose number included future legends, Bob Marley & the Wailers, Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs.
Trojan’s astounding success during this period was instrumental in introducing reggae to a global audience and in so doing provided the foundations upon which Jamaican music has since been able to develop and prosper. Today, more than four decades after its launch, Trojan remains one of the most iconic music labels in the world, continually attracting new fans with its vast catalog of music that encompasses a wide range of styles from sixties ska and rock steady to the more recent sounds of roots, dub, lovers rock and dancehall.
The Best Of Trojan Reggae Vol. 1 Track Listing:
1. Israelites - Desmond Dekker & The Aces
2. Double Barrel - Dave & Ansel Collins
3. Liquidator - The Harry J All Stars
4. Long Shot Kick De Bucket - The Pioneers
5. Money In My Pocket - Dennis Brown
6. Everything I Own - Ken Boothe
7. Young, Gifted, and Black - Bob & Marcia
8. Love Of The Common People - Nicky Thomas
9. Let Your Yeah Be Yeah - The Pioneers
10. Help Me Make It Through The Night - John Holt
11. Hurt So Good - Susan Cadogan
12. Uptown Top Ranking - Althea & Donna